Driving instructors will hear the same questions being asked when prospective learners are enquiring about driving.
Below we’ve listed the frequently asked questions we hear and provided answers to help shed some light.
What age can I start learning to drive at?
To begin driving lessons and obtain a licence, you must be 17 years of age. However, there are some driving instructors that offer lessons to be taught on private land, in this case, learners can begin at a younger age.
I’m 17, what do I need so I can learn to drive?
Prior to driving, you will need to apply for your provisional driving licence – at this present moment in time, a provisional costs £50 and can be applied for in two ways:
The fastest and simplest way to apply for a provisional is to apply online; you can visit the direct gov website and you can apply if you are eligible to the following:
– a resident in Great Britain
– are no younger than 3 months prior to your seventeenth birthday
– can meet the minimum eyesight requirement
– are currently not prevented from driving due to a conviction or health
– can pay £50.00 by MasterCard, Visa, Electron or Delta debit or credit card
– own a valid form of identification e.g. British passport
– are able to provide evidence of residence for the past 3 years
- Post Office
Provisional driving licences are obtainable from most Post Offices when an application from D1 and a photo card application form D750 should be completed, and sent up to 3 months before your 17th birthday to the following address:
DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1AD
After you have received your licence by post, you can then begin your driving lessons!
When am I able to take my theory test?
You are able to take your theory test once you receive your provisional licence and are 17 years of age.
To book a theory test you will need:
– your Great Britain or Northern Ireland provisional driving licence number
– your debit or credit card
– a valid email address in order to receive a confirmation email that will contain your booking details
The two ways to book a theory test are:
Online – The easiest way is book online here.
By phone – You can call the DSA on 0300 200 1122, welsh language 0300 200 1133 or text 0300 200 1166, these lines are open weekdays from 8am to 4pm
When can I book my driving test?
You will be able to book your driving test once you have received your provisional driving licence and have passed your theory test.
To book a driving test:
In order to successfully book your driving test, you will need:
– a valid Great Britain or Northern Ireland provisional licence number
– a debit or credit card
– if applicable, a theory test pass date and certificate number
Booking by phone – Call the DSA on 0300 200 1122, welsh language 0300 200 1133 or text 0300 200 1166.
Online – One of the quickest ways to book your driving test is online, here.
Check driving test date
This can easily be done online if you have the following data:
– your valid Great Britain or Northern Ireland provisional driving licence number
– you application reference number
– your theory test pass certificate number
Check online –
Cancel/reschedule online – the same data, as listed above will be mentioned when cancelling or rescheduling your driving test, you can do that here.
We hope any of the questions you may have had about driving have been answered above!
Please visit our website to view our driving test dates and more!